Friday 25 March 2011


Claudius Praying Notes

  •     Act 3, scene 3
  • Main issue: Claudius tries to pray but cannot as he explains that his “offence is rank, it smells to heaven”
  •  Lines 1-21:
o   King Claudius speaks of how his faults are too great, and he is worried that he can never be forgiven for them.
o   “eldest curse upon it” – the word curse refers to his brother’s death
o   Caesura:
  “A brother’s murder. Pray can I not”
·         Used to show that Claudius had a thought which triggered him to think of another – shows a sense of confusion
o   Ongoing pentameter:
§  “My stronger guilt defeats my strong intent; and, like a man to double business bound”
·         Shows Claudius confused and worrisome feelings
·         “My stronger guilt defeats my strong intent”  means that his sin overshadows the intent of wanting forgiveness by praying
·         Simile: “like a man to double business bond” having the problem of praying for Claudius is like having a double job – its hard
o   “I stand in pause where I shall first begin” – Claudius doesn’t know where or how to begin his prayers
o   “Cursed hand” – refers to himself
o   “Brother’s blood” – symbolizes Claudius’ sin of murder
o   Rhetorical Question:
§  “Is there not rain enough in the sweet heavens to wash it white as snow?”
·         Claudius is asking for forgiveness
·         He is pretty much saying ‘can’t god easily just forgive me, take the burden off his shoulders’
·         Simile:”as white as snow”- Shakespeare uses this to show Claudius’ wants; which is to be forgiven and become pure, to be clean (“white as snow”)

  •    Lines 22-34:
o   “My fault is past” – Claudius cannot turn back or relive his past, he rather, has to feel the guilt
o   Claudius asks “what form of prayer can serve my turn?” He is asking how can he be forgiven and what should he should do
o   “Forgive me my foul murder?” – praising to the Lord, asking for forgiveness
o   Contradiction: “Forgive me my foul murder? That cannot be; since I am still possessed” -  Claudius is asking for forgiveness but also admitting that he doesn’t deserve it as he did kill his brother (“still possessed”) – Through this, Shakespeare is illustrating Claudius’ confusion about his wants
o   “My crown, mine own ambition and my queen, may one be pardoned and retain the offence?” – Claudius is apologizing for his selfishness

  •     Lines 35-43:
o   “Try to repentance can: what can it not? Yet what can it when one cannot repent? O wretched state! O bosom black as death!”
§  Here, Claudius is doubting himself about his ability to be forgiven
§  He is asking rhetorical questions to God – Shakespeare uses this to show that Claudius is weak
§  Using words like O emphasize Claudius’ guilty feelings
§  “O wretched state!” represents the state of which Claudius is in – like him asking for forgiveness
§  Simile: “bosom black as death” – meaning that Claudius asking for forgiveness is terrible; the worst thing you could do
o   “Art more engaged! Help, angels! Make assay!”
§  Praise to the heavens asking for help
§  Asking for god to make his repentance process easy
§  The exclamation marks were used to show his eagerness
o   Simile:
§  “Be soft as sinews of the newborn babe”
·         Claudius wants his forgiveness to be an ease
·         Plus, a happy and good moment, not one that has to bring him misery
·         He wants everything to be okay, as he says “all may be well”

(Then Hamlet enters)
  • Lines 44-49:
o   Hamlet interrupts Claudius when he is trying to pray
o   Hamlet is seeking revenge and therefore thought to himself that at that time, when Claudius was on his knees praying, was a good time to kill him as Hamlet says “and now I’ll do it”
o   Hamlet calls Claudius a “villain”
o   Hamlet wants revenge as he says “a villain kills my father; and for that, I, his sole son, do this same villain send to heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment